Question: Did You Need Your Social Security Card To Get Hired?

Topic 25121 | Page 1

Page 1 of 2 Next Page Go To Page:
Truckin Along With Kearse's Comment
member avatar

I have never had a job that did not ask for my Social Security card, including Prime. In todays day of sanctuary states, who knows.

So please list your company and whether you were asked.

I am.posting this because we have a member who seems to be confused as to whether you need one. thank you.

Truckin Along With Kearse's Comment
member avatar

I just asked my last upgraded student and he didnt have a passport so he needed his birth certificate with a raised seal and his social security card.

my current student has a passport so that was accepted in lieu of.

BK's Comment
member avatar

All Schneider asked for was my SS number, I didn't have to present a card.

The thing that seemed to be a big deal to my Wisconsin DMV was to have a CERTIFIED, STAMPED copy of my birth certificate. I had to go get one (who knew records were even kept that long ago). Cost me a trip to Vital Records and $20. This was necessary to get my CDL issued.


Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

A CDL is required to drive any of the following vehicles:

  • Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.
  • Any vehicle required by federal regulations to be placarded while transporting hazardous materials.


Dispatcher, Fleet Manager, Driver Manager

The primary person a driver communicates with at his/her company. A dispatcher can play many roles, depending on the company's structure. Dispatchers may assign freight, file requests for home time, relay messages between the driver and management, inform customer service of any delays, change appointment times, and report information to the load planners.


Department of Motor Vehicles, Bureau of Motor Vehicles

The state agency that handles everything related to your driver's licences, including testing, issuance, transfers, and revocation.

Sid V.'s Comment
member avatar

I'm assuming it is to fill out the tax forms. I remember they accept documentation from several columns but I'm not sure what they are. I always used my passport even though it's expired.

Turtle's Comment
member avatar

I have a passport, and was told that would be all I needed to bring. However, I brought my passport, SS card, and raised seal birth certificate, just in case.

Oh, and I drive for Prime :)

BK's Comment
member avatar

Rainy, that's right. Now I remember that if I had a passport, I could have used that instead of the B.C.


Avvatar's Comment
member avatar

I had to present my SocSec card in order to get my permit.

Thus far, I have not shown Roehl my card, but they list it to be taken to school. I imagine they will copy it into their system then.

Spaceman Spiff's Comment
member avatar

Hi all,

I just passed yesterday afternoon at Prime Salt Lake City (trifecta bonus booyyyyyyy) and stupid me forgetting it was April Fool's day, was halfway in the cab to get my birth certificate, social security card, picture ID, and all credit cards before the examiner started laughing at me.

In the end all I needed was the birth certificate at the orientation, permit and driver's license for the exam portion. HOWEVER, I had all of the applicable forms of ID, TWIC card, W2s and as Rainy suggested, a few recent months worth of pay stubs. A walking identity theft victim, not a soul on the planet could have separated me from my back pack at any point in the airport. Never had to worry during training.

Side note, if you're from CA, there is a hiring freeze going on. Hopefully just a short term thing with the lease agreement issue in court.


Transportation Worker Identification Credential

Truck drivers who regularly pick up from or deliver to the shipping ports will often be required to carry a TWIC card.

Your TWIC is a tamper-resistant biometric card which acts as both your identification in secure areas, as well as an indicator of you having passed the necessary security clearance. TWIC cards are valid for five years. The issuance of TWIC cards is overseen by the Transportation Security Administration and the Department of Homeland Security.

PackRat's Comment
member avatar

I have no idea where my card is, so I have always brought my passport and original birth certificate and never had any problems. Congratulations to Spaceman Spiff! (two more S’s)....dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Truckin Along With Kearse's Comment
member avatar

Documents needed to prove emolyment eligibility

US Govt Citizenship & Immingration

Page 1 of 2 Next Page Go To Page:

New Reply:

New! Check out our help videos for a better understanding of our forum features

Links On TruckingTruth

example: TruckingTruth Homepage

Upload New Photo
Please enter a caption of one sentence or less:

Click on any of the buttons below to insert a link to that section of TruckingTruth:

Getting Started In Trucking High Road Training Program Company-Sponsored Training Programs Apply For Company-Sponsored Training Truck Driver's Career Guide Choosing A School Choosing A Company Truck Driving Schools Truck Driving Jobs Apply For Truck Driving Jobs DOT Physical Drug Testing Items To Pack Pre-Hire Letters CDL Practice Tests Trucking Company Reviews Brett's Book Leasing A Truck Pre-Trip Inspection Learn The Logbook Rules Sleep Apnea

0 characters so far - 5,500 maximum allowed.
Submit Preview



This topic has the following tags:

Background Checks Becoming A Truck Driver Employment Verification Items To Bring To CDL School
Click on any of the buttons above to view topics with that tag, or you can view a list of all forum tags here.

Why Join Trucking Truth?

We have an awesome set of tools that will help you understand the trucking industry and prepare for a great start to your trucking career. Not only that, but everything we offer here at TruckingTruth is 100% free - no strings attached! Sign up now and get instant access to our member's section:
High Road Training Program Logo
  • The High Road Training Program
  • The High Road Article Series
  • The Friendliest Trucker's Forum Ever!
  • Email Updates When New Articles Are Posted

Apply For Paid CDL Training Through TruckingTruth

Did you know you can fill out one quick form here on TruckingTruth and apply to several companies at once for paid CDL training? Seriously! The application only takes one minute. You will speak with recruiters today. There is no obligation whatsoever. Learn more and apply here:

Apply For Paid CDL Training