Note: Your are not logged in. We can not keep your scores or track your progress unless you Register and Log In
Cab Check/Engine Start
Oil Pressure Gauge
- Make sure oil pressure gauge is working.
- Check that pressure gauge shows increasing or normal oil pressure or that the warning light goes off.
- If equipped, oil temperature gauge should begin a gradual rise to the normal operating range.
- Make sure the temperature gauge is working.
- Temperature should begin to climb to the normal operating range or temperature light should be off.
- Make sure the air gauge is working properly.
- Build air pressure to governor cut-out, roughly 120-140 PSI
- Check that gauges show alternator and/or generator is charging or that warning light is off.
Mirrors and Windshield
- Mirrors should be clean and adjusted properly from the inside.
- Windshield should be clean with no illegal stickers, no obstructions or no damage to the glass.
- Check for spare electrical fuses, unless circuit breaker equipped vehicle.
- Check for three red reflective triangles, six fuses or three liquid burning flares.
- Check for a properly charged and rated fire extinguisher.
Note: If the vehicle is not equipped with electrical fuses, you must mention this to the examiner.
- Non-power steering: Check for excessive play by turning the steering wheel back and forth. Play should not exceed 10 degrees (or about 2 inches on a 20-inch wheel).
- Power steering: With the engine running, check for excessive play by turning the steering wheel back and forth. Play should not exceed 10 degrees (or about 2 inches on a 20-inch wheel) before the front left wheel barely moves.
- Check that wiper arms and blades are secure, not damaged and operate smoothly.
- If equipped, windshield washers must operate correctly.
Lights/Reflectors/Reflector Tape Condition (Sides and Rear)
Test that dash indicators work when corresponding lights are turned on:
- Left turn signal
- Right turn signal.
- Four way emergency flashers.
- High-beam headlight.
- Antilock Braking System (ABS) indicator.
Check that all external lights and reflective equipment are clean and functional. Light and reflector checks include:
- Clearance lights (red on rear, amber elsewhere).
- Headlights (high and low beams).
- Backing lights.
- Turn signals.
- Four-way flashers.
- Brake lights.
- Red reflectors (on rear) and amber reflectors (elsewhere).
- Reflector tape condition.
Note: Checks of brake, turn signal and four-way flasher functions must be done separately.