Note: Your are not logged in. We can not keep your scores or track your progress unless you Register and Log In
Tractor And Coupling
- Listen for air leaks. Check that air hoses and electrical lines are not cut, chafed, spliced or worn (steel braid should not show through).
- Make sure air and electrical lines are not tangled, pinched or dragging against tractor parts.
- Check that the steps leading to the cab and the catwalk are solid, clear of objects and securely bolted to tractor frame.
- Look for loose or missing mounting brackets, clamps, bolts or nuts. Both the fifth wheel and the slide mounting must be solidly attached.
- On other types of coupling systems (i.e., ball hitch, pintle hook, etc.), inspect all coupling components and mounting brackets for missing or broken parts.
Hitch Release Lever
- Check to see that the hitch release lever is in place and is secure.
- On other types of coupling systems (i.e., ball hitch, pintle hook, etc.), inspect the locking mechanism for missing or broken parts and make sure it is locked securely. If present, safety cables or chains must be secure and free of kinks and excessive slack.
- Make sure there is no gap between the fifth-wheel and trailer, and check that locking jaws are fully closed around the kingpin.
Fifth-Wheel Skid Plate
- Check for proper lubrication and that fifth-wheel skid plate is securely mounted to the platform, and that all bolts and pins are secure and not missing.
Platform (Fifth Wheel)
- Check for cracks or breaks in the platform structure that supports the fifth-wheel skid plate.
Release Arm (Fifth Wheel)
- If equipped, make sure the release arm is in the engaged position and the safety latch is in place.
- Check that the kingpin is not bent.
- Make sure the visible part of the apron is not bent, cracked or broken.
- Check that the trailer is laying flat on the fifth wheel skid plate (no gap).
Locking Pins (Fifth Wheel)
- If equipped, look for loose or missing pins in the slide mechanism of the sliding fifth wheel. If air powered, check for leaks.
- Make sure locking pins are fully engaged.
- Check that the fifth wheel is positioned properly so that the tractor frame will clear the landing gear during turns.
- Check that the sliding pintle is secured with no loose or missing nuts or bolts and cotter pin is in place.
Tongue or Draw-bar
- Check that the tongue/draw-bar is not bent or twisted and check for broken welds and stress cracks.
- Check that the tongue/draw-bar is not worn excessively.
Tongue Storage Area
- Check that the storage area is solid and secured to the tongue.
- Check that cargo in the storage area (i.e., chains, binders, etc.) are secure.